* Please note these pages are still being worked on.
Using the Countess of Erne as an in-harbour monitoring site, we aim to keep a close eye on the continuing deterioration of the wreck while making our observations of notable flora and fauna, including rare species. Initial (2011/12) targets are to establish a "baseline" on which to form a continuous observation. The baseline consists of establishing the Current Condition of the wreck (factors and areas of deterioration) and Notable Species on and around the wreck. While we will be monitoring all flora and fauna, the project places greater emphasis on the following species: Black Faced Blenny, Red Band Fish, Worm Anemone (Scolanthus callimorphus), Sea Pen and (Fan) Coral populations on and around the wreck. We are also interested to hear about other sightings and observations including those of anemones, squirts, squid/cuttlefish (or eggs), Lump Sucker(s), eels and other fish. You can see more pictures of this wreck in our Countess of Erne Photo Gallery.
The Countess of Erne is one of the most highly dived wreck sites on the South Coast. This iron hull wreck lies upright in 15m of water close to the inner breakwater and to the north of the east entrance of Portland Harbour. While subject to continuous yet gentle tidal flow, the wreck acts as an artificial ledge between the silt-covered sea bed of the harbour and the stones that make up the breakwater itself. The wreck and its surroundings attract a variety of sea life, some of which are rare and alien to Portland. Post 2000 observations show deterioration of the wreck, particularly on the deck structure towards her bow and parts of the stern (with rudder still intact). Direct influences on the wreck and its marine life include tidal flow and rare sport angling with the greatest outside influence being recreational diving activities (including sport and technical diver training due to her shallow depth and 'accessibility').
The Countess of Erne sank next to the north-east breakwater on 16 September 1935 after breaking her moorings. Built in Dublin in 1868 as an iron hulled paddle steamer, she had a short career working as a passenger ferry before being converted into a coal hulk. The Countess sits upright, parallel to the inner breakwater, on a silty sea bed at about 15m, with its shallowest point being about 8m. She is intact with all her superstructure removed, her open stern and connected three cargo holds exposed to view (the holds connected together via silty 'swim-throughs'). The structure of the upper deck towards the bow shows signs of recent deterioration/damage. The stern and rudder are more intact but deteriorating.
Due to its shallow depth and accessibility only by licensed and authorised dive boats like our other monitoring site the Dredger, the Countess of Erne can be regarded as a low risk dive. Despite the influence of water circulating in and out of the harbour, the wreck can be dived at all times of tide. Notable diving risks include loss of direction due to low visibility, loss of visibility due to "silt out", discarded monafilament fishing lines and hooks, loss of direction or entanglement during the "swim throughs" between holds or overhead parts of the wreck and loss of contact with wreck (which exposes divers to the tidal flow of the harbour's East entry which is closeby). Divers are also advised that due to deterioration the Countess boasts sharp and "spiky" parts often facing up (hazardous for uncontrolled fast descent in low visibility conditions).
The Countess of Erne was built by the firm of Walpole, Webb & Bewley of Dublin in 1868. She was an iron hulled paddle steamer approximately 73m (240ft) in length, with 2 engines, built by Fawcett Preston & Co of Liverpool, delivering a total of about 300hp to two side paddles. She was fitted out to able to carry approximately 700 passengers, with more than 100 of those being in first class. She was also able to carry 700 tons of cargo. In 1869, the ownership of the Countess was transferred to the London & North Western Railway Company for use on their Holyhead to Dublin route. In 1873, she was transferred to their Greenore route. Sometime during 1888-1889, she was put up for auction in Liverpool, where she was purchased by the Bristol Steam Navigation Company who put her into service for 2 years, before she was sold for scrap. In 1890, she was converted into a coal hulk and used at several ports before finally being moored in Portland Harbour. On the 16th September 1935, she broke free of her moorings and drifted before holing herself on the north-east breakwater of Portland Harbour and shortly afterwards sank. (Thanks to Havering Scuba Divers for collecting the detailed information and sharing it online).
2012 © Underwater Explorers Ltd.